Day in the Life of a Moda Designer – Spring Market 2013 Portland

I always look forward to the International Market, this year we met in Portland, OR. At the Spring Market we are showing the new products that will be available in the fall.

I get to fill a small space of this huge International Show with my humble creations.

The Spring 2013 fabric collection from Laundry Basket Quilts was “Hope Chest”, I love these fabrics! The quilt above is called “Remember” showing all of the fabrics from this group, there are some splendid light backgrounds, beautiful prints and wonderful batiks.

I used the red print as a border fabric on the “Hope Chest” quilt, it is available in 4 beautiful colors and is perfect for borders. There are a few other projects from the “Hope Chest” collection and I am looking forward to share them with you in my next post.

I finished setting up the Laundry Basket Quilts booth by hanging the projects from my new book “Seasonal Silhouettes”.

The day before the show opens is full of fun activities, one of which are the schoolhouses. Hallways are full of quilters eager to learn what is new and exciting!

Moda designers get to present a schoolhouse together, the row of girls by the wall are some of us waiting a turn. This is one of the special moments that we get to stand beside each other and visit a bit, even if it is just for a short time.

I always look forward to what is new from “Collection for a Cause”.

Above is the antique quilt that was this year’s inspiration for the project.

And here is the completed quilt made from the pre cut kit that I’m hoping to be able to purchase and make someday – I have been collecting quite a few of these kits over the years :).

Market lasts for 3 days but it always feels like just one day full of wonderful things like:
Seeing good friends and spending a little bit of time with them.

Book Signings.

Sharing Smiles.

Floating on the river for a little MODA party.

Daydreaming and Reflecting.

Leaving the spotlights of Portland behind.

Taking a family photo.

Followed with a huge group hug!

With the spring arriving,

I look forward to see you fall in love with quilting over and over again.

21 thoughts on “Day in the Life of a Moda Designer – Spring Market 2013 Portland

1. 95Candy

Hi admin, i must say you have very interesting articles here.
    Your website should go viral. You need initial traffic boost only.
    How to get it? Search for; Mertiso’s tips go viral

2. Lisa Dziuban

Where can I find the large blue flowered floral in “Feathered Star”? (Page 120 of Reasons For Quilts). LOVE that book! Thank you for any help.

3. Lee McGregor

Will definitely “load up” on Hope Chest fabrics – gorgeous! Would also love to find the pattern for those wonderful embroidered gloves (holding the snow heart) if it is available.

Thanks so much.

Lee – Woodinville, WA

4. Irene Blanck

I’m sure I saw that antique clamshell quilt at Paducah – where I’m sure I saw Mark Dunn eyeing it off!! I fell in love with that quilt as i LOVE clamshell quilts and the combination of the browns, pins, blues and creams made for such a divine quilt! Of course it was beyond my price range but that didn’t stop me from fondling it and dreaming about it. So it was wonderful to be able to see it again – if its the same quilt.

5. Kendall

Do you mind if I quote a couple of your articles as long as I provide credit and sources back to your webpage? My website is in the very same area of interest as yours and my users would truly benefit from a lot of the information you present here. Please let me know if this ok with you. Many thanks!

6. Janan

I just wanted to share that I really like the “Remember” quilt and I really like the small center flowers that form in the center of the plume designs.
    In reading all the prior posts about blogs and websites, I hope my comment is being posted on your sewing web blog for Laundry Basket quilts.

7. Marti Caterino

Just when I think that you have designed the most beautiful fabric and created the most wonderful patterns, you take my breath away once again!!
    I can hardly wait to begin another of your designs!
    Oh wait…I can go play with my other favorite “Edyta quilts in progress”!!

8. Janan

Thanks for sharing photos from market, I can’t wait to see your new book.
    PS, I love your new haircut!

9. Carol Sc

Love, love, love those new quilts and fabrics!! It’s always hard to wait for them to show up in the shops. A new hairdo? I like it. Enjoyed seeing a glimpse of market — you must be absolutely pooped, when you get home — the excitement of seeing all the new things would keep me awake!

10. Corinne

I cannot wait to get my hands on your new book “Seasonal Silhouettes” , the quilts are beautiful. The Hope Chest fabric collection is also, beautiful.

11. Sharon Bennett

Looks like so much fun! Love all the quilts you debuted… but, if I had to pick a favorite, it would be “Remember”. So simple, yet so beautiful… I hope to stitch it this year!

12. Jane

Thanks for sharing your perspective of quilt market. That book, that new book “Seasonal Silhouettes” where can I buy one. Loe all your designs both in the patterns and the fabric. Hope Chest is sure to be another fabric line hit this year, congratulations.

13. Pam

Hi Edyta!
    Love your new quilts! Can you please tell me where to get the precut kit for the Howard Marcus Quilts for a Cause? Are you selling it? I’m assuming its too new — I can’t find it on Moda.

Thanks!
    Pam Kuczora
    Indiana

1. Edyta Post author

Hello Pam,
      We will have them available on our website as soon as they are released. I will provide an update as soon as I have the date.

14. Deborah

This is a lovely post Edyta. I am looking forward to purchasing your new book and your new patterns. And of course some hope chest!